Friday, May 23, 2014

BMQG Sewing Room Swap

As a new member of the Boston Modern Quilt Guild (a group that is comprised of some seriously talented people) I was so excited (and a little nervous) to participate in their sewing room swap.  I was matched with Karen who suggested that a thread catcher would be useful.  Love it!  So I went in search of a pattern (why start from scratch when smarter people have figured this all out already?) for a thread catcher and found this tutorial by Elizabeth Hartman.   Perfect!  Just to make sure I knew what I was doing, I made one first for my sewing room.
 In her hints to her secret match, Karen did not specify a color preference so I decided to go scrappy.

I made the thread catcher out of 1.5" squares from my scraps and pieced them using ANOTHER Elizabeth Hartman tutorial.  The interfacing added a nice extra body to the bag.




 Karen loved it!  Yay!

AND at the swap I received this lovely basket from Naomi!

Look at all the goodies she filled the basket with!

The basket alone will be so useful but she also made a wonderful design wall with velcro on the back to hang either vertically or horizontally.  I don't have much wall space in my little sewing room and this fits perfectly behind the door.  How did she know?

My husband's solution for hanging:

So a very successful swap both as a swap-er and a swap-ee!

Linking up with Amanda Jean's finish it up Friday and Lorna's Let's Bee Social!
Happy Friday!
Kathy

8 comments:

  1. I love the thread catchers that you made, I'll have to check out the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that!! And the fabrics are right up my alley. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are so clever! What a great thread catcher and so much more. Your new design wall is a great idea....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the thread catcher. That colorful pins fabric is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your thread catcher turned out very pretty, Kathy! Love that patchwork... Sew tiny! How did you find using that tutorial to piece them? Was it difficult? That little design wall is perfect for displaying some blocks. Nice gifts for/from both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable!!! I loved the little chevron in the middle and the pins fabric is inspired:-) It was so amazing to see what everyone was giving and getting... a great swap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both thread catchers/pin cushions turned out great. I've added the tutorial to my never ending list of things to make. ; ) I love the fabric with the sewing pins on it, do you know who the designer is?
    valekort at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had that tutorial pinned forever... but your patchwork version is just the cutest! What a lucky swap mate you had.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...